Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere. They can also result in serious injuries, such as concussions and broken bones.
Although a slip and fall accident can occur in virtually any setting, there are some types of properties where these accidents may be more likely to occur. Examples include the following:
- Retail Stores: Retail stores can be particularly hazardous for slip and fall accidents due to spills, wet floors, and uneven surfaces. Retail stores have a high volume of foot traffic, and spills can occur frequently, especially in areas like the produce section of grocery stores. Retail stores are also known for using wax or other types of floor polish to maintain a shiny appearance, which can create slippery surfaces.
- Restaurants: Restaurants are another type of property where slip and fall accidents may be likely to occur. The kitchen area can be particularly hazardous due to spills from cooking and cleaning. Additionally, restaurants may have outdoor seating areas where wet or slippery surfaces can cause accidents.
- Hotels: Hotels can be dangerous for slip and fall accidents due to the variety of surfaces and amenities offered, such as pools, hot tubs, and spas. Wet floors and spills can occur in hotel lobbies, restaurants, and other common areas, making them particularly hazardous.
- Hospitals and Healthcare Facilities: Hospitals and healthcare facilities can be particularly hazardous for slip and fall accidents due to spills, wet floors, and cluttered walkways. These facilities also have patients with mobility issues who may be at a higher risk of falling.
- Construction Sites: Construction sites are hazardous for many reasons, including slip and fall accidents. Construction sites are often filled with debris, equipment, and materials that can cause tripping hazards. Additionally, the surfaces can be uneven or unstable, making it easy to lose balance and fall.
- Parking Lots and Garages: Parking lots and garages are another type of property where slip and fall accidents may be likely to occur. These areas can have uneven surfaces, potholes, and cracks that can cause tripping hazards. Additionally, parking lots and garages may become slippery when wet or icy.
- Public Sidewalks: Public sidewalks are a common location for slip and fall accidents. Sidewalks can become uneven or cracked over time, and debris can accumulate, creating tripping hazards. Additionally, during the winter months, sidewalks can become slippery and icy, increasing the risk of falls.
Seeking Compensation After a Slip & Fall Accident
If you’ve been involved in a slip and fall accident, it’s possible your accident occurred because a property owner negligently failed to address a hazardous condition in a timely manner. In Washington State, when this happens, a victim may seek financial compensation for their medical bills and other such losses resulting from their accident by filing an insurance claim.
Do you believe you have a valid slip and fall case? If so, strongly consider reviewing your case with a Washington premises liability attorney for more information about your legal options. A member of our team at Russell & Hill, PLLC will evaluate your accident, inform you of how you may proceed, and offer the representation you deserve if you hire us. Get started today by calling 800-529-0842.