Anytime you or a loved one set out in your vehicle, whether for a short trip to the store or on a long road trip, you are faced with various potential hazards. While most car accidents are caused by the negligence of other drivers, there are times when a damaged roadway can lead to serious accidents. At Russell & Hill, PLLC, our car accident attorneys in Marysville want to discuss who could be held liable in the event a damaged roadway causes you harm.
Damaged roadways do cause accidents
When most people think about car accidents, they think of them occurring due to the negligence of drivers. However, there are times when Marysville car accidents are caused by damaged or improperly maintained roadways. Some of the most common causes of roadway hazard crash that Russell & Hill, PLLC helps clients with include:
- Steep road shoulder drop-offs
- Faulty roadside guardrails
- Overgrown shrubbery or trees
- Debris on the roadway that should have been removed
- Lack of proper road signs
- Faulty traffic signals
- Poorly maintained road surfaces
- Flawed roadway construction or design
- Improper drainage
- Hazards in construction zones
Who can be held liable?
If a crash is caused by a damaged or improperly maintained roadway, there may be various parties that could be held responsible. This could include:
- Government agencies or municipalities responsible for roadway maintenance
- Private companies responsible for roadway construction
- Landowners that do not properly maintain their premises around the roadway
Anytime it can be proven that the negligence of another person caused an accident, it may be possible for injury victims to secure compensation through a personal injury lawsuit. It is important to understand that there are various time limits (or statutes of limitation) that may apply in these cases.
Typically, an injury victim has three years from the date an accident occurs to file a lawsuit against an alleged negligent party to recover compensation. However, for any claim made against a government entity in the state of Washington, the claims process and timelines may vary. That is why it is so important to speak with an experienced Marysville car accident attorney in these cases.
Let our Marysville car accident attorneys help
If you or somebody you love has been injured in an accident that was caused by a roadway defect, seek legal assistance as soon as possible. At Russell & Hill, PLLC, our competent and experienced team is ready to investigate every aspect of your case. Our goal is to secure full compensation for your claim, including:
- Your medical expenses related to the accident
- Lost income and benefits if you are unable to work
- Pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life damages
- General out-of-pocket household expenses
- Possible punitive damages against those responsible
If you need a car accident attorney in Marysville, you can contact us for a free consultation of your case by clicking here or calling 800-529-0842.