There are plenty of motorcyclists in and around Everett, Washington. Most motorcycle riders and passengers understand they face more danger on the roadway than those in traditional passenger vehicles. At Russell & Hill, PLLC, our motorcycle accident attorneys in Everett want to discuss some of the most common road hazards that motorcyclists encounter in our area. We are always here to help secure compensation when a motorcyclist is injured due to another person’s negligence.
THESE INCIDENTS CAN BE SEVERE
According to the Washington Department of Transportation, we know that motorcycle accident happen regularly in this state. During the latest reporting year of data, there were 2,137 total motorcycle crashes. These incidents led to:
- 76 fatal crashes
- 375 suspected serious injury crashes
- 647 suspected minor injury crashes
- 652 possible injury crashes
Looking at this data, we can see that motorcyclists are very vulnerable when an accident occurs. Even when a motorcyclist is wearing a helmet, they have a high probability of sustaining an injury. While most motorcycle accidents are caused by driver or rider error, there are also times when hazards on the roadway can cause serious accidents. Some of the most common roadway hazards that motorcyclists need to watch out for include:
- Rough roads: Poorly maintained roads or roads that are undergoing construction/resurfacing is extremely dangerous for riders.
- Gravel on the pavement: Gravel is common on most roadways, but it can be one of the most dangerous hazards for a motorcyclist to navigate. Gravel on the roadway can cause a motorcyclist to lose traction and crash.
- Expansion joints: An expansion joint is used to connect two sections of the road together or sections of a road to a bridge. These joints allow the road to expand or contract without cracking the roadway surface. When these joints expand or contract, they can create an uneven surface that can cause a motorcyclist to crash.
- Open bridge joints: These joints hold two sections of a bridge together and are made to contract and expand, similar to expansion joints. Some of these joint openings can be very wide, creating hazards for motorcyclists.
- Edge breaks: An edge break is when two lanes of traffic are different heights, often because roadway resurfacing that has not been completed. The height difference could cause a motorcyclist to crash.
- Standing water: Just like passenger vehicles, motorcycles can also hydroplane due to standing water on the roadway.
- Objects on the roadway: Any obstacles that are on the roadway can be a serious problem for motorcyclists. This can include deceased animals, trees, objects that fall off vehicles, and more.
WE CAN HELP YOU THROUGH THIS
If you or somebody you love has been injured in a motorcycle accident that was caused by another person’s negligence, contact a skilled attorney today. At Russell & Hill, PLLC, our team is ready to investigate every aspect of your claim in order to secure the compensation you need. This can include:
- Coverage of your motorcycle crash-related medical bills
- Compensation for lost income if you cannot work
- Mental anguish damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages in cases of gross negligence
If you need a motorcycle accident attorney in Everett, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling 800-529-0842.